Belmont County was one of the first counties settled in Ohio.
Belmont County was established by Governor St. Clair on September 7, 1801.
This was 2 years before Ohio officially became a state. Belmont County was the site of many desperate Indian battles.
The County Seat is St. Clairsville which is situated on an elevated site, in rich farming country, on the Old National Road (Now U.S. Route 40). St. Clairsville was named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, Governor of the Northwest Territory.
The name "Belmont" or "belle monte" means Beautiful Mountain.
Belmont County Court House
St. Clairsville, Ohio